Where has the time gone? Today we officially have a TWO year old. Should we be scared for the terrible twos? I'm pretty sure those started by the time you were 18 months ;-) Daddy and I constantly talk about how blessed we are. We are so happy. And SO very much in love with you, little man. You are one of the best things to ever happen to us. We laugh about how we didn't think we would have kids until Dada was out of Law School. Silly us. God knew us better. And, we couldn't imagine the past 2 years without you in our lives. They have been nothing but amazing. Busy and tiring, yes. But, amazing. And here we are welcoming your little brother Luke into the family any day now as well. We're now a family of four... and we could not ask for more!
For your second birthday I wanted to finally sit down and write your birth story. I've wanted to write it all down for such a long time, so I never forget the special moments and feelings we felt on that amazing day. I'll start before the actual "birth" day and lead up to how we met you and how our lives were forever changed, for the better.
It was June 19, Saturday night. Mama was a VERY large 38 week pregnant lady getting ready for another night at work. I was working night shift as a nurse, as I did all of your first 2 years of life. I was resting on the couch before work when I told Daddy that I was pretty sure I was having some contractions. I didn't think much of them, but they weren't going away either. I called my manager to give her a heads up, but decided I'd still go to work. I made it through the night at work-- contracting about every 10-20 minutes all night long. They were uncomfortable and pretty regular. But never got close together. Sunday June 20th was Fathers Day and I secretly thought how awesome it would be for you to come that day. What a good present for your daddy! I came home from work and couldn't sleep because I was too excited that today might be the day. Dada and I even decided to go on a little hike. I continued to contract, but nothing ever got closer.
I finally called the on call doc-- who made mama cry. How was I supposed to know if this was the real thing? I'm a first time Mom and was nervous, and he wasn't the nicest man. In the end, we made it through Sunday and I looked forward to my appointment with the midwife on Monday, June 21st. My dear midwife knew how large and uncomfortable I was and agreed that I was indeed having contractions, but not making any other progress of dilation or effacement. However, my blood pressure was going pretty high-- and she didn't like that. We made the decision to be induced at the hospital on Wedneday night. We went home, packed our bags and anxiously waited and tried to enjoy the next two days... but we could not wait for your arrival!!
I finally called the on call doc-- who made mama cry. How was I supposed to know if this was the real thing? I'm a first time Mom and was nervous, and he wasn't the nicest man. In the end, we made it through Sunday and I looked forward to my appointment with the midwife on Monday, June 21st. My dear midwife knew how large and uncomfortable I was and agreed that I was indeed having contractions, but not making any other progress of dilation or effacement. However, my blood pressure was going pretty high-- and she didn't like that. We made the decision to be induced at the hospital on Wedneday night. We went home, packed our bags and anxiously waited and tried to enjoy the next two days... but we could not wait for your arrival!!
Wednesday June 23rd, we sat around after dinner trying to watch TV and keep our minds off the fact that we were about to head to the hospital to HAVE A BABY! We were so excited and could not believe the day was finally here to meet you. Finally, the time came we could go. We snapped a couple last minute pictures of what mama looked like with you in the belly (huge!) and we were off to the Labor & Delivery Unit.
That night they gave mama some medicine to help me dilate and told me to sleep-- yeah right! I was supposed to get my rest because the real induction with Pitocin would start bright and early Thursday morning. I was hooked up to the monitors, which showed that I was still definitely contracting on my own, but not in a regular pattern. Silly body, get with the program!
That night they gave mama some medicine to help me dilate and told me to sleep-- yeah right! I was supposed to get my rest because the real induction with Pitocin would start bright and early Thursday morning. I was hooked up to the monitors, which showed that I was still definitely contracting on my own, but not in a regular pattern. Silly body, get with the program!
On Thursday morning, June 24th *your birthday!!* I was started on Pitocin. This medicine made me contract even harder and more frequently. They continued to increase the dose, hoping I would get into a good labor rhythm. Sadly, my body was not cooperating. The nurses kept commenting on how my uterus was continually contracting, instead of resting after each contraction and giving me a break like it should. It was not in a good contraction pattern at all. I was uncomfortable, but still happy and hopeful. Daddy and I walked the room, I sat on the birthing ball, and I layed in bed. We tried to pass the time and were hopeful that my body would do what it was supposed to do. The nurses and staff were SO very nice to us. We were anxious and excited. We knew it was THE DAY and we were Finally going to meet our little man. It was your birth day. We talked, we laughed, and we prayed. We wondered who you would look like and how big you'd actually be. (The doctor's predicted you could be 9-10 pounds!) We kept our family posted, who were all on the road to Missoula so they could be here for your arrival. Finally, at noon, my dear midwife came to check me. I had not dilated AT ALL. I was still zero cm, despite all the pitocin and contracting, my body was not doing what it should. She was sweet, and gave me the option of continuing labor or making the decision to do c-section. Honestly, at that point. I did not care. I wanted to see my son and really didn't care that that would mean having a c-section. So- the decision was made! It took a few hours to get a doctor available to do the surgery and wait for everything to get lined up. At this point our family arrived and we enjoyed hanging out and visiting with them as we waited for what was to come. The nurse finally came to get me, and I said my goodbyes to family and walked to the OR. I wasn't nervous, just really, really excited. I remember going into the OR and feeling like all of this wasn't really happening. Very surreal. My midwife was able to be there and assist with the surgery so I felt comforted that I knew someone. Daddy came and joined me after they got me all prepped. I don't remember a lot. I do remember shaking like crazy-- apparently a very common reaction to the spinal anesthsia-- as well as the nerves and adrenaline going through my body. Dada held my hand and we were so very excited. I started to cry. Partly because of nerves, partly because they were pushing on me pretty hard to get you to come out, and partly because I knew I was finally going to meet my precious baby boy. We knew the time had come and we'd finally get see you!!
At 5:55 on June 24, 2010 our beautiful boy was born. They didn't hold you up for me to see, but announced that you were here. You were quiet. You didn't cry. Daddy rushed off to the warmer where the nurses were giving you some oxygen and trying to get you to cry. These moments were very hard for me, as your mama. I felt helpless. I lay there on the table asking the doctor and ansethesiologist if you were ok. I longed to hear that cry. And finally. FINALLY. You let out a soft, faint wail. After getting some oxygen, you finally started to pink up and let your voice be heard. After what seemed like forever, Daddy finally carried you over to me. Meeting you for the first time was something I cannot express adequately into words. I just stared at you. I couldn't take my eyes off you. Daddy was proud and I could tell that even under the OR mask, he was beaming with the biggest smile ever. My eyes filled up with tears as I carressed your cheeks. The nurse took a "First family photo" which we've framed and you'll forever have in your room. You were here!! And, without ever really feeling like something was missing, we oddly finally felt Complete.
Waiting for you to pink up and let out that cry!
Proud Daddy
Seeing you for the first time, I couldn't wait to get my hands on you!
It was so very hard not to hold you, but only touch your face.
Our first family photo :)
After a couple minutes Dada went with you to the newborn nursery while they took me to recovery. I STILL hadn't held you. I was told they'd bring you to me as soon as possible. But, it seemed like ages. I remember the nursery calling to the recovery room asking if I was ready for you. I asked the nurse one question: "How much did he weigh?" To which she replied, 7 pounds 14 oz. I couldn't believe it! "Are you sure thats the right baby?" We were told by the doctor and midwife that you were expected to be a 9-10 pound baby and I couldn't believe my ears to hear you weighed less than 8. But: You were PERFECT. Finally, after what seemed forever, they brought you into me. And at that moment, my heart almost burst with happiness. The moment where I held my sweet baby boy for the very first time. It brings tears to my eyes to even recall this feeling. It was nothing short of amazing. I vividly remember your big eyes, just like Daddy's. Your perfect lips. Your soft skin. Your cute toes. And your shockingly blonde hair. That platinum blonde hair is what brought the most comments.... and still does. And it's our very favorite thing about you.
Doing Footprints and newborn assessment
The moment I Finally got to hold you...
Priceless.
I couldn't take my eyes off you. And I loved holding you close on my chest. I never wanted to let go. We were able to bond, I was able to feed you a little, and I was in completely and utterly in Love. I was something I had dreamed about being for a long time, a Mama.
We made it to our post partum room and we shared you with family. We finally announced your name: Elijah (The Lord is our God) Steven (After your Grandpa Gerstner).
7 pounds * 14 oz *21.5 inches long
Perfection!!
We were so in love and forever blessed. We enjoyed you and proudly shared you with family and friends. Mama and Dada shared our First Anniversary in the hospital, just 2 days after you were born. That is something that we'll always cherish, laugh about, and remember fondly. What a sweet memory we hold onto. We couldn't belive how much had changed and we were counting every blessing. We had a 3 day stay in the hospital, but then could not wait to get home to start our lives as a family of three.
You came into our lives and changed them for the better. Thank you for making us parents. You light up our lives in so many ways. We adore you and the person you are becoming. You are stubborn and fiesty and full of attitude and fun. You are passionate with a great zest for life. You always make us laugh. And you help remind us what's important in life.
"Every Good and Perfect Gift comes from above..." James 1:17
Happy 2nd Birthday, Elijah Steven!
You are such a gift to us.
We LOVE you, to the moon and back.
Just for fun...
Some quick stats about You at 2:
*You weigh only 25 pounds (20%) , haven't gained any since 18 months! You're a little skinny boy!
*You wear mostly 18-24 month clothing right now. You do have a few pairs of 12 month size shorts, and also a couple random 2T shirts that you fit into as well.
*You are 35 inches (70%).
*You are still in size 4 diapers.
*You are no where near ready to potty train, which is ok! I'm guessing it won't be till you're closer to 3 when we actually attempt the process.
*You are a very picky eater-- which makes getting you to gain some weight very difficult!
*You have such a cute smile, very similar to mommy's when she was little! And, the only teeth we're waiting on are your 2 year molars.
*You love brushing your teeth with the electronic Cars Toothbrush!
*You LOVE reading, generally the same books over and over and over.
*You love to pick out colors, shapes, and objects in books. You are VERY smart and retain so much of what you hear or are shown or taught.
*You don't use THAT many words, but you're putting 2, 3 or more words together to make statments and sentences which is fantastic for your age! You're slowly but surely adding to your vocabulary.
*You are obsessed with colors of things. Everything is described by its color. You can only say "yellow, blue, green, and black." But when asked, you can pick out most other colors.
*You still sleep 11-12 hours a night.
*You nap on average 3 hours each afternoon-- sometimes even 4 or more when you are really worn out!
*You still love your blankie and cannot sleep without it. When it's getting washed and we give you a substitute, you know right away it isn't the "right" blankie. You go "nigh night" with your "dig (big) dog" every night. You love Rex.
*You love to wear your sunglasses and hats. You know to get them before we go outside.
*You despised the glasses we tried at 18 months and we've given up on those for now... we may be revisiting them in 6 months to a year when you're older! Your ophthalmologist thinks you probably still need them but not to stress of making you wear them now.
*You still love music and dancing. You do this silly stomp and wave your arms. Of course, it gets quite a bit of attention and laughs.
*You still use sign language for milk, please, more, and eat. Not sure when you'll start actually saying these words, but happy you use them to communicate.
*You love, love, love dogs. You are so gentle with them. And have never been afraid of them, big or small. Any dog we see we have to go up and pet, hug, or even kiss!
*You are still obsessed with cars and trucks. They are your favorite toys, by far!
*You also love sports and get excited when daddy watches baseball with you! (For your second birthday- we're taking you to a baseball game!)
*You love "Gook" in the belly. You get excited when you see any babies, in real life or on tv. And you think every baby needs to go "nigh night". We're pretty sure your world is about to get rocked when Gook is out of the belly and in your home, but we think you'll handle being a big brother well!
*You can be really sensitive and needy at times.
*You are the typical toddler with some mighty fine tantrums at times. You get time outs for those and are not a fan!
*You try to be very independent with everything.
*You are also very loveable. You kiss almost everything-- toys, books, dogs, people.
*You give such sweet hugs.
*You hair grows pretty fast. You've already had about 3-4 hair cuts since your first one last October when you were 16 months old. You platinum hair is gorgeous. It's still our very favorite thing about you and something everyone comments on.
*You have the biggest, prettiest eyes ever. They are the perfect blue/lavender. You correctly call them your "blue eyes"when asked what color you have. And mix them with those long, luscious eye lashes-- perfection!!
*You can point to many body parts when questioned including; head, hair, ears, neck, nose, eyes, cheeks, mouth, teeth, belly, belly button, arms, hands/fingers, butt, legs, knees, feet/toes.
*You love to play hide and seek. You love to run and go on the longest walks. You love to explore and get so excited if you hear us even mention "walk" or "outside". You start proclaiming "go!" and run to the door.
*You are such a sweet, sweet boy. Full of energy and spunk. Full of attitude, but also full of love. We are SO lucky to call you our son!
Happy 2 years, Mr. E!!
xoxo




No comments:
Post a Comment