Monday, March 28, 2011

Albinism

Lately, Colin and I have been talking more and praying about the possibility of someday adopting a child with albinism from another country who is not likely to be adopted due to their albinism. I've always had a desire to maybe adopt one day, specifically from Africa since I have been their twice and worked with the orphans and fell in love with the beautiful people! We've been learning more how children with albinism are outcast and actually brutally attacked/murdered due to their albinism. My heart goes out to each and everyone of them. We were given this unexpected passion for children with albinism after the sweet blessing of Elijah and now we want to do more to help and bring light to those affected and help those we can. We know that God brought this opportunity to us for a reason and we want to use it for His Good. :)

Anyways, here is a link to watch a recent 20/20 video on albinism as it follows various people born with it and how it affects their lives. A large portion is about a woman from Tanzania. Please watch this video when you have the time-- it's about 40 minutes long. It's heartbreaking but also heartwarming. I cried, but I also laughed and smiled. It makes me want to tell the world about what's going on, and it also makes me want to hold my boy tight and thank God over and over for this blessing.
The link:
http://abc.go.com/watch/2020/SH559026/VD5582135/albinism-caught-between-dark-and-light

Also, their is an amazing photographer who takes photos and brings awareness to those with various genetic conditions. Please check it out when you have a moment. If you want to see those of albinism- click on gallery, then genetic conditions, then albinism. It's beautiful the work and awareness and positive exposure he's brought to so many! The link: positiveexposure.org

Much love to each and everyone of you today!

No comments:

Post a Comment