Sunday, January 23, 2011

Good home cookin' makes for Plump N' Happy boy!

When we were pregnant with Elijah, Colin and I made the decision (albeit scary and daunting to me, no doubt) that we would make our baby food! If you're thinking "yikes"- than you're on the same track that I was. (Until now!) If you're thinking "why?"- than you pose a very good question! Making our baby food would not only be cheaper in the long run, but also healthier for our little bundle of joy. For those reasons, we knew it was worth a shot! To be honest, I was nervous. I knew it would take more time, planning, and energy than simply buying jarred baby food already ready to go, but I knew if I was determined, that it really wouldn't be that bad. (And- it's NOT!) In fact, its actually getting to be really fun!!!

After a fever and little bug last weekend when Elijah didn't have much of an appetite at all, he recovered and decided that he was actually hungry.... more like starving... and the thought of eating solids wasn't so bad after all. I think he finally decided that he was ready for more food and was excited to try all kinds of stuff! So- the real fun has begun! Elijah now devours *almost* everything we offer him. The one thing he didn't like: Avocados. Ha! We tried them last week, and after trying 3 times and seeing that all he would do was an awful face *insert gagging sound* and then spit them out... maybe he just wasn't into them. We'll try them again another day...  But, he DOES like Bananas, Sweet Potatoes, Pears, Peas, and Prunes. :) We gave him the latter due to a little constipation issue he developed, thinking he'd hate them, and he loved it. I, for one, couldn't stand the look OR the smell!! E has now started to eat a fruit and veggie for lunch, or just a fruit and then a veggie for snack, as well as a fruit and veggie for dinner. We went shopping today so I could spend the afternoon steaming, pureeing, and freezing some more food since he's really stepped up in the amounts of food he's wanting. It's actually a blast! I feel like I'm really having fun making food for my boy- that I know is healthy, pure, organic, and good for him!!! By the way: Being a Mom ROCKS! :)


Next up on the agenda this week for Eli's palette: Butternut squash and Applesauce (we tried this at Christmas, but he wasn't ready or interested, so we're goin' for round two!) We plan on trying to get Eli to eat either rice cereal or baby oatmeal each day as well as the fruits and veggies... but he's still not into it as much. I'm thinkin'- I'll start sneakin' it into his bowl of fruit to mask the taste! ;-) This month, we'll keep adding all sorts of new things like carrots, beets, aspargus, potatoes, zucchini and then possibly some meats and other fun things! 

Here are a few exciting pics of the steaming/pureeing/eating process with Eli this week! :~)


Grandpa and Granma got Eli the Babycook Baby food maker for Christmas! It's AMAZING!

Daddy and E helping mommy start the process of steaming/pureeing some peas!

Eli likes the little spatula best! 

 The awesome trays to freeze the baby food- here is some freshly pureed Butternut Squash!

Yumm... Pears!

Eli likes to try to hold the spoon and help himself sometimes...


Sweet Peas!



Yummy Goodness!

Priceless face!

And..... he's full :) 

                                          *** Here's to a healthy start for our little man***

1 comment:

  1. Jacki, good for you for making baby food! It's not as hard as it sounds and it's so much healthier! And wow, you have a Beaba Babycook!! What fun that must be to use! I still steam and puree veggies to put in the freezer for Jade so I can easily add spinach to eggs, or butternut squash to grilled cheese. It's so easy to get a cube out of the freezer! Eli sure looks like he is loving all the foods you are making him!!

    ReplyDelete