Friday, April 22, 2011

Good Friday

Tonight, Good Friday, we gathered with our church family for one of the most real, solemn, contemplative, and powerful services I have ever taken part of. Colin and I are so thankful to be part of such an amazing family of believers with our hope rooted in this amazing God who died for sinners like us. We gathered together as much of Jesus' own followers did, feeling the darkness, full of fears and doubts about what lies ahead, and wondering if God is really here. 


Here is a song that I want to share that our Pastor, Christian Cryder wrote. "It's from Psalm 88- one of the darkest in the entire Psalter. There is not a ray of hope in it. We can easily imagine Christ praying as he hung dying on the cross. This particular song, however, ends on a positive note, precisely because of the cross. Christ Himself is the resolution to the psalm: he has passed through that Darkest Night of all- death! So, we have great hope. No matter how bleak our circumstances, Christ has already been there, and he will be with us."


Oh The Dark- Psalm 88


Oh my God, my God, why are you silent? All my prayers they feel like lead; oh the dark, the dark, is my companion, oh the dark, the dark, my only friend.


All my hopes and dreams have come to nothing, I have no future left to spend; and so the dark, the dark is my companion, Oh the dark, the dark, my only friend.


Every one I dared to love or trusted, they have left or failed me in the end; and so the dark, the dark, is my companion, Oh the dark, the dark, my only friend.


You have broken all my bones, you have shattered all my hopes, you have turned your face away, what can I do? Yet as darkness on my falls, still I will on thee call; for the Darkest Night of all is one you knew...


In the dark, this dark, is a Companion. In the dark, this dark, there is a Friend.
In the dark, this dark, I'm not abandoned, You will see me through until the end. 


Tonight we reflect on this Awesome God-


'How deep the Father's Love for us, how vast beyond all measure;
That he should give his only son, to make a wretch his Treasure. 
How great the pain of searing loss, the Father turns his face away.
As wounds which mar the Chosen One, bring many sons to Glory.'


Thank you, Jesus!










"In the old rugged cross stained with blood so divine, a wondrous beauty I see.
'twas on that old rugged cross Jesus suffered and died to pardon and sanctify me."





No comments:

Post a Comment