Thursday, January 19, 2012

Snow Day!

"The first fall of snow is not only an event, it is a magical event. You go to bed in one kind of a world and wake up in another quite different, and if this is not enchantment then where is it to be found?"----- J.B. Priestley


"Some days I would go without any fire at all, and eat raw frozen meat and melt snow in my mouth for water."
------Buffalo Bill

Yesterday brought the first major snowfall of the season for us in Missoula.  Yes, we've had some snowfall earlier, but this is the first time that the sky has unleashed its full white fury upon us.  The past two days brought more snow than I can ever remember for a town that doesn't double as a ski resort.  


To celebrate, Eli and I decided to shovel and play in some of La Nina's goodness.  Unfortunately, Mama had to work and therefore was only able to participate minimally in our celebration (she snapped some of the photos one day).  Apparently, the snow day granted to Missoula schools didn't extend to Missoula nursing homes.  Crucially, Eli kept on his gloves for the first time.  Eli loved walking around in the winter wonderland.  Snow is funny stuff, and E made sure he examined it fully.  On both days, he didn't want to come inside, despite the fact that his cheeks were as rosy as a Valentine's Day bouquet and his hands were frigid.  Now, he'll tell us about snow (pronounced "ssss ow") and run to our front door and try to open it.  He's only 18 months, but he's already recognized that playing outside is way more fun than playing inside.


Below are some pictures from our snow days.  I realize there are a bunch, it's just that I rarely write on here and rarer still that I'm  blogging about some photos that I took.



Eli helping me shovel.


Occasionally, I take a picture that makes me want to become a professional outdoor photographer, before I come crashing back to reality.  This is one of them.


This is the first day, when it was still coming down.



It was just too much darn fun walking around out there.


Checking out the ssssss ow.





Of course, the moment I turn my camera off and set it down, E falls into the snow right in front of him soon after I took this picture.  He kind of chuckled at first, but then he realized that getting snow down your gloves isn't much fun.


Missoula cancelled school for the day, as the buses couldn't drive down the roads.  The kids had no complaints.  In the distance, you can see some kids having a sweet snowball fight.




(From The Office)  Dwight: "It's very unusual for Michael not to show up to work. My guess? He's either deeply depressed, or an icicle has snapped off his roof and impaled his brain. He has this terrible habit of standing directly underneath them and staring up at them. And I always say Michael, take two steps back, and stare at the icicle from the side. And he's like no, I like the way they look from standing directly underneath them."




Eli doing his Buffalo Bill impression.


By the end of the day, the snow would be up to his chest.




Check out that giant snowball that girl is carrying!  They were planning to ambush a friend.  Luckily for their intended target, the plan never materialized.




This picture doesn't do it justice for how bad the roads were.  I got stuck several times on the side streets.  By the end of the day, there were about as many cross country skiers cruising down the streets and sidewalks as there were cars driving.


Can't get enough of that snow.






Eli was courteous and wiped off the stairs for our upstairs neighbors.




Eli taking a breather after an exhausting day.

No comments:

Post a Comment